Orbic X 5G, TCL Linkzone Verizon

We have a Verizon phone and MiFi8800L on a prepaid account.  I am considering replacing my 8 year old MiFi8800L with one of Verizon's recommendation which is the Orbic X5g or the TCL LinkZone. Anyone have any experience with either of those hotspots? Reviews weren't too good on either of them.

Thanks,

Connie

2016 Leisure Travel Van Serenity S24CB

I have an 8800L on a prepaid plan that is still going strong.  The prepaid plan is 4G only but unlimited, so I don't dare upgrade.  I have an Orbic 5g on a $20/month plan that is working well, but is not unlimited.  It has an Ethernet port, which I thought would come in handy but I have not used the port.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I switched from a mifi to a tablet for my dedicated hotspot several years ago when I was having trouble with the 8800L. I find the tablet more versatile and it works well tethered or as a hotspot. I find the larger screen easier for surfing and have most of my apps like campground reviews and gas buddy on the tablet. Current tablet is an Orbic 5G and it works well.

You can switch out sim on another device and retain unlimited status. I upgraded ours to the 8800L from the cheaper one I originally bought. As far as Verizon knows still with the original. But I bought from Best Buy and just swapped sim. May upgrade again as my unit is very dated. Works great though. Not being on 5g not really an issue. Most everywhere we been no 5g

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I am considering upgrading, not because I want 5G, but because I think that the 8800L is slowly dying. A couple of times this past summer the battery got really hot and the device shut down. Now that we are hanging out for the winter in one place I thought I would look into what is available to replace the 8800L. Like Bill, we too, have the unlimited prepaid plan for our phone and MiFi...certainly wouldn't want to lose that plan.

2016 Leisure Travel Van Serenity S24CB

On 10/13/2024 at 5:33 PM, crstrm said:

I am considering upgrading, not because I want 5G, but because I think that the 8800L is slowly dying. A couple of times this past summer the battery got really hot and the device shut down. Now that we are hanging out for the winter in one place I thought I would look into what is available to replace the 8800L. Like Bill, we too, have the unlimited prepaid plan for our phone and MiFi...certainly wouldn't want to lose that plan.

It's pretty cheap to replace the 8800L battery.  They run about $16 on Amazon.  I keep a couple on hand, and change them out when performance starts degrading.  Even if you need to replace your 8800L, it's not expensive.  I've seen new ones for sale on eBay for as low as $35.

Mike and Retha Hopkins

2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G