TRW Power Steering Unit Seal Leak

SuiteSuccess

Just out of curiosity (I’m taking to the shop), has anyone replaced the top seal in their unit and how difficult was it?bwXaZpVl.jpegHz55Mzcl.jpeg

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

It's really easy. A LOT easier than changing out the box, but a lot of shops would rather make more $$$$ by selling you a box, plus labor to install it. The super easy way is to expose the seal and then momentarily crank the engine. The power steering fluid will blow the seal out. Or you can just use a pick to dig it out. Jay

16 minutes ago, Jaydrvr said:

It's really easy. A LOT easier than changing out the box, but a lot of shops would rather make more $$$$ by selling you a box, plus labor to install it. The super easy way is to expose the seal and then momentarily crank the engine. The power steering fluid will blow the seal out. Or you can just use a pick to dig it out. Jay

Thanks.  I would assume the main seal is NOT the red rubber grommet showing in pic #2.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

3 minutes ago, mike5511 said:

I just replaced mine earlier this year. 

BE6D09BD-C66D-4BAA-A083-2BB8E930544D.jpeg

Blown seal or other issues?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

1 hour ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Thanks.  I would assume the main seal is NOT the red rubber grommet showing in pic #2.

On mine, the seal was about 3/8" (?) deep from the top of the box to the bottom of the seal. The red part you see may be part of the retainer?? Or it may be just a protective shield. I can't really tell. Jay

I've always had terrible luck replacing worn seals on a rotating shaft. A telescoping shaft seal, not a problem. But the rotating shaft seal usually only goes out when the small contamination in the fluid cause a wear spot on the shaft. New seals on a worn shaft usually only last a short while. IMO.

I'm a work'n on it.

1 hour ago, Deezl Smoke said:

I've always had terrible luck replacing worn seals on a rotating shaft. A telescoping shaft seal, not a problem. But the rotating shaft seal usually only goes out when the small contamination in the fluid cause a wear spot on the shaft. New seals on a worn shaft usually only last a short while. IMO.

Mine lasted several years until I replaced the box because the output shaft was getting too sloppy. It did buy me some time and maybe a 100,000 plus miles. But yes, the shafts are often too worn to fix. Jay

Thanks everyone for the input. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3